Coroporate Social Responsibility - Sustainability
Severfield-Rowen are committed to achieving and maintaining sustainable practices in all our disciplines.
To this end we are proud to have successfully gained Gold Membership Standard for the BCSA RQSC Steel Construction Sustainability Charter.
The following is quoted directly from the BCSA Sustainability documentation, and outlines the undoubted importance of this issue for our business, our Clients and our planet.
"Sustainability is rapidly moving up the agenda as a procurement issue.
Increasingly construction clients are looking for sustainable forms of construction and for companies which operate in a "sustainable" manner.
Steel is being promoted to clients, specifiers and designers as a more sustainable form of construction than concrete, eg it is recyclable, fabricated offsite, safer to erect, etc.
In order to complement this, there was a need to establish a mechanism for clients, specifiers and designers to be able to determine what a "sustainable steel construction company" is and how to identify such companies.
This has resulted in the Steel Construction Sustainability Charter.
Companies signing up to the Charter will be required to complete a Sustainability Application Form and undergo a new sustainability audit.
Companies awarded Charter Status in 3 levels – Member, Silver Member, Gold Member - depending on the number of points (see below) successfully audited
- A published sustainability policy (mandatory);
- Monitoring of progress towards sustainability using specific management targets;
- A programme of involvement with their local community on social issues and with the steel construction community generally;
- An accredited H&SMS to OHSAS 18001 or H&S management as an integral part of a QMS accredited to BS EN ISO 9001;
- IIP accreditation or a structured programme for personnel training, development and communication;
- A published equal opportunities policy;
- A published ethical trading policy;
- An accredited EMS to BS EN ISO 14001;
- Use of environmental impact assessment for process improvement;
- A policy to manage energy and vehicle fuel usage in the business;
- A policy to question whether suppliers have published sustainability policies;
- An accredited QMS to BS EN ISO 9001.
The objective of the Steel Construction Sustainability Charter is:
To develop steel as a sustainable form of construction in terms of economic viability, social progress and environmental responsibility.
The BCSA requires that Sustainability Charter Members shall make a formal declaration to:
- Operate their businesses in efficient and financially sustainable ways in order to undertake contracts that satisfy clients and add value for stakeholders.
- Work to optimise the impact of manufacturing and construction activities on the eco-efficiency of steel construction through its life cycle.
- Work towards increasing the efficiency of use of resources and energy in steel construction by promoting the recovery, reuse and recycling of steel.
- Foster the health and safety of employees and others in the steel construction industry, and operate generally in a healthy, safe and environmentally sound manner.
- Demonstrate its social responsibility by promoting values and initiatives that show respect for people and communities associated with steel construction.
- Conduct business with high ethical standards in dealings with employees, clients, suppliers and the community.
- Engage stakeholders and independent third parties in constructive dialogue to help implement sustainable development.
- Build on their knowledge of sustainability and willingly share this with others, by being open and active in communications and by helping steel and construction companies and other organisations in the supply chain to implement sustainable policies.
The BCSA will develop and publish key performance indicators that benchmark the development of sustainable steel construction generally and that permit individual Sustainability Charter Members to measure their own progress.
The BCSA will promote the advantages of sustainable steel construction generally and will give special public recognition to Sustainability Charter Members."