Statistics and Performance Indicators
As market leaders in steel fabrication and erection we believe that a solid policy of minimising greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions is crucial to the present and future success of both our company the whole of the Structural Steelwork Sector and our working and living environment.
To ensure that Severfield-Rowen Plc comply with all legislation the following measures are to be implemented:
- Identify objectives and targets to be set and agree at management review meetings to continually improve our environmental performance.
- Identify all direct and indirect sources of GHG within the production process
- Prevent pollution and any negative environmental impact from our business activities by lowering vehicle emissions and reducing the quantities of volatile organic compounds (VOC's) and other greenhouses gases used on site.
- Limiting the production and emission of greenhouse gases from our activities by following guidance set out in BS ISO 14064-1:2006: Greenhouse gases in relation to quantification and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions and removals
- Recording delivery mileages to and from site
- Work in conjunction with our haulage contractors to minimise greenhouse gases produced as part of the transport process
- Record usage of electricity, heating oil and gas used on site
- Each production unit will collect data for that particular site (equity share)
- Measuring and recording in KgCO2/tonne of steel produced by utilising calculations and measurements contained within BCSA Carbon footprint tool
- Making information available to our stakeholders
- Benchmarking our carbon footprint across our industry sector through BCSA
Severfield Rowen Plc (SR) is proactive in taking positive measures to implement good waste management practices.
SRS seeks to minimise the amount of waste referred to landfill by the company through:
To this end the SR will:
- Endeavour to reduce the amount of materials used for core business activities through design improvements and therefore reduce waste.
- Promote reuse and recycling of materials throughout the company wherever possible.
- Where practicable purchase materials/products made from or including recycled material
- Meet applicable legislative requirements in terms of waste disposal
- Designate skips for individual waste streams i.e. scrap steel, timber
- Demonstrate environmental stewardship by ensuring any waste created is disposed of in the correct manner.
- Measure in tonnes the amount of waste produced and tonnes recycled and make this information available to stakeholders
- Year on year demonstrate an improved recycling rate
- We will work with British Steel Constructional Association (BCSA) to set industry benchmarks and measure our performance against these.
Waste produced at fabrication units is recorded with circa 87% of total waste recycled
Water usage is covered in the Company's Environmental Policy.
Water is not used in the Company's process and it is the Group's objective to measure water usage and reduce by installing lo-flo systems.
Severfield-Rowen Plc continually researches ways to conserve energy through efficient and conscientious use of power consumption, along with sensible vehicle fuel usage policies:
- Include, and encourage the selection of, cleaner fuel and emission efficient vehicles in the company vehicle fleet
- Combine manufactured steel site deliveries where practical to reduce unnecessary trips
- Liaise closely with our haulage contractors to maximise transportation and utilise the concept of "back-loads"
- Work with haulage contractors to trial gas powered transportation
- Utilise the video conferencing facility available to reduce company car usage for meetings
- Record delivery distances to each fabrication unit and dispatches to each site
Severfield-Rowen Plc as an organisation is committed to investing time and resource in their people, their processes and their company structure.
- Employ a 'hands-on' training philosophy for employees, providing the opportunity for people to learn directly from management
- Provide the opportunity for employees to receive external training and qualifications relevant to their role within the company
- Provide the opportunity for employees to contribute ideas and feedback about company processes
- Identify opportunities for personnel advancement within the Company and employ a 'promote from within' policy
- Record the time spent on training at each fabrication unit
The company recognises the importance of community involvement both locally and nationally.
Severfield-Rowen Plc recognises its duty as a local successful employer to be involved directly with the local community and its residents, many of which are directly employed by the company.
We have a direct involvement with local regeneration and development projects.The programme for 2011 includes:
- Attendance at local employment events promoting Severfield-Rowen Plc as a potential employer
- Involvement with BCSA / Tata product development on a technical level
- Works visits for subcontractors and educational establishments
- Regular and on-demand Charitable donations and sponsorships
- Social event organisation for Severfield-Rowen Plc employees
- Company fund-raising raffles for National organisations such as Children In Need
- Modern apprenticeship schemes
During 2010 the company donated £96,369
In association with the Tata Steel Group and the World Steel Association, Severfield-Rowen as part of its sustainability framework participates in providing LCI (Life Cycle Inventory) data for steel products.